Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Battle Isn't Over Donuts

"If you love Me, you will keep My commands." ~ John 14:15

One day, about a week ago, I was very hungry on my way home from school. That's a 30-45 minute drive, which is a long time to be focused on being hungry. About 10 minutes in to my drive, I turned into Dunkin Donuts. I wanted blueberry munchkins (so delicious). They were out of them, so I settled on two glazed donuts.

I ate the first donut pretty quickly. As I bit into the second donut, a battle started within me. It went something like this:

"Do you love Me?"

"Yes, of course."

"Do you really love Me?"

"Yes, I really love You."

"More than that donut?"

"Of course, but I still want to eat this donut."

"Is that the obedient thing to do?"

"Um ... I really want this donut."

(Please keep in mind that I was eating this donut during the entire battle. Battles of the spiritual nature don't require hands, and I only needed one hand on the steering wheel.)

"Do you want to be obedient to Me more than you want that donut?"

".......................................... Sigh ............................ Yes."

I didn't finish the donut.

I threw the rest of it away when I arrived at home.

For me, this battle isn't over donuts. This is a spiritual battle. This is a matter of conforming my will to My Father's will, a matter of being obedient. 

You know what? The cool thing is that Jesus already won the victory over sin. I just need to walk in that victory. I wasn't walking in victory as I bit into the second donut, but I was when I put down the 3/8 of the donut that was left. I don't say that pridefully. I say that to brag on my Savior, because I LOVE donuts. "They're my one true weakness" (Larkrise to Candleford - watch it). The power of the Holy Spirit is the only thing that will help me put down a donut (or not go to Dunkin Donuts in the first place). 

I'm excited to watch the Holy Spirit at work in my life. How is He at work in yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment