Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Comfort Food

What is it about comfort food that makes it so incredibly tempting? OK, I know the answer is in the question: comfort food is comforting.

I've been doing semi-OK with my diet this week (I'm going to write a separate post for that), but I fell off the wagon today. I felt YUCKY, and I found myself justifying purchasing two different kinds of cookies from the Walmart bakery and a slushie from Sonic. (With the slushie, I felt like I was making a somewhat better choice over ice cream, and I chose the apple juice slushie, which at least gave me some Vitamin C! HAHA!)

There's a chance I've set myself back a couple of days just because I felt I had the right to consume extra calories. Did I? Maybe ... but probably not. It's all a matter of getting myself to the point where I'm thinking of the big picture. Today as I was walking around Walmart and driving toward Sonic, I was only thinking of the pain and discomfort I was feeling. I wanted something to help soothe those feelings, and food is my longtime friend. If I had stopped and thought about my goal of losing 20 pounds by the time we fly out to Montana in mid-October, maybe I would have only purchased 1 box of cookies instead of 2 (hey, I'm not perfect!), and maybe I would have purchased a Route 44 water instead of a slushie AND a Diet Dr Pepper with vanilla.

So, here's hoping I can learn to find some balance between my desire to consume comfort foods and my desire to lose weight!

No comments:

Post a Comment