Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Vanilla Bean Cheesecake and a Possible New Dieting Strategy

There is a piece of vanilla bean cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory sitting in my refrigerator. When I got up this morning, that was one of the most exciting things on my agenda (birthday cake was high up there as well ... yes, I do know I'm on a diet). Oh how things can change in just an instant. On the way to The Cheesecake Factory, I got really upset about something, and I've been upset since then. So I haven't touched my cheesecake.

Typically, I'm an emotional eater. If I'm sad, lonely, depressed, joyful, celebratory, or pretty much any other emotion, I want to eat. So it always catches me off guard when I lose my appetite completely, especially for something I wanted so badly and had been looking forward to for a couple of weeks. I usually know that means I'm upset for real (you know, as opposed to all of the other times when I'm upset for fake ... ).

Perhaps this could be a new dieting strategy for me. Every time I really want something I shouldn't eat, I'll just have someone upset me tremendously. Then I won't want to eat it. I'm not sure what this strategy will do to my emotional health, but I sure will look good.

1 comment:

  1. First off, I just want to tell you how brave you are for posting your journey on here. You're more ahead than you might think, just by doing that!

    More importantly, I wanted to encourage you that small changes mean big results. You may think, "Man, how can I ever let go of Krispy Kreme for good?" The beauty of it is, you don't have to! We have discovered, through personal experience, that cutting out something as simple as soda (even though it was/is my favorite, EVER!) and replacing it with water as much as possible can change everything.

    We started by trying to drink "less" soda. We'd still buy it, but try to limit ourselves as to how often we drank it. The problem with that, as you might guess, is that we would naturally reach for it if it was in the fridge. So, we had to step it up a notch - we had to stop buying 12-packs of soda. We've not purchased a case of soda in over 6 months!

    It sounds terrible, and miserable, but that jump-started our road to healthier eating. It gave us the courage to eat more fruit and veggies, to eat smaller portion sizes, and to ultimately lose 40 pounds between the two of us.

    Notice that I haven't even mentioned exercise?! Exercise is a big part of being the healthiest you you can be, but it doesn't have to be top priority in losing weight! We've lost almost all our weight through diet changes alone. The best part about knowing this is that we don't feel overwhelmed at all the changes we need to make to our lifestyle; we can make one change at a time, and every change we make has an awesome effect.

    Not trying to take over your blog, here, so I should stop talking!!! Just wanted to encourage you that nothing is impossible, and you should feel proud of anything and everything you do to make yourself healthier. If you're proud of the little things, you will stay encouraged and hopefully not be tempted to overindulge.

    Best Wishes!!

    ~Catie

    ReplyDelete