Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Day 1: Acknowledge My Obesity is a Spiritual Issue

"My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips." ~ Psalm 63:5

I'm in the women's Bible study at my church. We're going through Breaking Free by Beth Moore. She included Psalm 63:5 during one of her lessons on being satisfied with the Lord. I felt convicted right away. If I were satisfied with the Lord to a greater degree than I find temporary satisfaction in food, there's no way I would be obese.

Rather than seeking satisfaction in the Lord over the years, I have sought satisfaction in food. I have used it for comfort and joy, and it has become a sinful addiction in my life. I am enslaved to it. I think about it all the time. I crave it. I live for it. Some of you probably know what I'm talking about, because you also think about food all the time, crave it, and live for it.

"For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery." ~ Galatians 5:1

Being enslaved to food is not what Christ wants for me! He wants so much more for me. He wants me to live an abundant life (see John 10:10), not an enslaved one. He already paid the price to set me free from slavery to sin.

There is so much hope for me (and you)! A food addiction is just like any other sin. Christ died to free me from it. The Holy Spirit resides in me and gives me the power to overcome it. It does not define me or the direction of my life. God is gracious, and I know He is going to use this time to sanctify me and draw me into a deeper relationship with Him, one in which He is all-satisfying.

6 comments:

  1. I will be praying for you. I completely understand your struggle; I fight against it myself daily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also plus sized, however I don't feel *my* issue is food addiction. It's laziness. And medical issues (thyroid & PCOS).
    But I've been going to jazzercise for a month and I LOVE it. And it kicks my butt, and I love that. And my BFF and I can laugh at each other and who doesn't love that??

    Good luck with being less chubby! (that sounds a little mean, but I promise I'm sincere!)
    I'm also doing 31 days. check mine out - 31 days of Post It Praise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a big one! It's hard to recognise that the way we behalf is sinful and not God-honouring. The great thing, is that you ARE set free from addictions of any kind (even to food) and it is our call to seize that freedom and run with it. Praise Jesus we don't need to hope for freedom, but that we already have it. Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I think that once you have your mind set on the fact that you can control your food and with God's help you will defeat it....you are on the right track. Mind over Matter! Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will be praying for you on this journey, and reading your blog. I too, know what it is like to be completely enslaved to food. I have just started to blog about my own struggles and how my eating disorder has encompassed my life.
    ~in Him,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are certainly finding that self control is important! That's so exciting!! I found you at The Nester's link party....my friend lost 152 pounds in the last two years - finally succeeding her goal. She didn't go on a diet or do some special thing. She simply had self control and found satisfaction in God. Her blog is: http://workedout.wordpress.com/

    She is amazing. I hope you continue to succeed! I lost a lot of weight {about 40 pounds} after having my last kiddo. I know it's a sin issue, not something that I can blame on anything else! Wonderful!!

    Becky B.
    www.organizingmadefun.com
    Organizing Made Fun

    ReplyDelete