Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 6: Support System

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." ~ Ecclesiastes 4:12 (NIV)

One of the challenges I've had with trying to lose weight over the years is the fact that I try to do it all on my own. I don't really like to talk to people about my diet and exercise program (blogging doesn't count, because I'm not looking at you right now). I think it's because I'm embarrassed that I'm so overweight, and I'm even more embarrassed when I'm not sticking to my diet and exercise program. I don't like to talk about things that embarrass me. Do you? Probably not. I doubt anyone really enjoys it.

The thing is, I need people on this journey with me. I need people encouraging me. So do you! We've talked a lot about community in church over the past couple of months, and I've been reminded more and more how important it is to do life with other people - especially the tough parts of life. For me, my sin issues with food are a tough part of my life.

I need to pick my support system with prayer and thoughtfulness. Because this is such a sensitive area in my life, I don't want my support system to be just anyone. I want other believers to come alongside me and encourage me with God's Word. I need people to remind me who I am in Christ, to preach the Gospel to me regularly, and to pray for me. Those will be very special people. I think I know who they are. I just need to pray for the courage to talk to them. That can be the hardest step!

Do you have a support system? Who are those people in your life? How have they been an encouragement to you?


Previous Days:

No comments:

Post a Comment