Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Day 4: Memorize Scripture

When I think of temptation, I think of Jesus spending 40 days in the wilderness, constantly being tempted by Satan. Each time Satan tempted Him, Jesus quoted Scripture to resist the temptation.

In Paul's letter to the Ephesians, he talked about putting on the full armor of God so we can stand firm against the devil. Our weapon is "the sword of the Spirit, which is God's Word" (Eph. 6:17). I don't think that means get out my biggest, heaviest Bible and throw it at what is tempting me (although, for some temptations, that might work!). I believe God is calling us to memorize Scripture so we'll have it accessible to us at all times. Temptation doesn't just present itself to us when we have our Bibles with us.

"Thy Word have I hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against Thee." ~ Psalm 119:11 (I memorized that one in the King James Version when I was little.) Having Scripture memorized and recalling it during times of temptation guards us from sinning.

So what are some good Scriptures to memorize when waging the weight loss war (did you like that alliteration?)?

"For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery." Galatians 5:1

"Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (The immediate context of these verses is sexual immorality, but I believe they apply to any sin involving the body.)

"So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31

"My soul will be satisfied as with fat and rich food, and my mouth will praise you with joyful lips." Psalm 63:5

"I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13

These can get you (me!) started. Do you have any verses you keep hidden in your heart for times of temptation?

I recommend Beth Moore's book, Praying God's Word. She has a chapter devoted to overcoming food-related strongholds. It applies to all eating disorders, not just overeating.

Previous posts in this series:

No comments:

Post a Comment