Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Monday, October 10, 2011

Day 5: Try Fasting About It

Wow, I have been slack! I knew I was a little behind, but I didn't realize I was 5 days behind. If you actually read this blog, I apologize in advance. There is a chance you're going to get 5 posts from me today.

The phrase "when you fast" is spoken by Jesus twice in Matthew 6:16-17. The fact that He said "when" and not "if" indicates that it's something that should be a part of our lives.

I'm going to be honest about two things: 1) I don't know a lot about fasting. It isn't a topic I've studied much in Scripture. 2) I haven't had much success with fasting in the past, meaning I don't typically last the whole time I've set aside for fasting. I usually give in to the hunger.

I think point number two is connected to my problem with food. Eating something - anything - was more important to me than what I was fasting about.

I'm not going to do it today, but I would like to try fasting on occasion about my sin issues with food. I want to use that time to connect with the Lord, to remind myself that He is more important than my food addiction. I think it could be a very beneficial time for me.

Is fasting a part of your walk with the Lord? Have you ever fasted specifically about food issues? I'd love to hear from you!


Previous Days:

2 comments:

  1. Fasting is great! Okay, so maybe not so wonderful in terms of being hungry and just wanting to eat, but it is in other ways. I have fasted about losing weight, or maybe it was more about eating healthy. I hadn't fasted in a long time due to pregnancy and nursing over the last 10 years (and forgetting in between these). Last month I fasted about it and it really helped. I feel a sense of control over what I eat just by being able to stick with not eating for 2 meals (we start after dinner on Saturday night and end it right before dinner on Sunday night). It has really helped me a lot. I also think it has helped me to be open to what my needs are when eating. I recommend trying it. Once you have stuck with your fasting, you will have a sense of accomplishment and it will remind you that you can control what you put in your body.

    ReplyDelete